Friday, December 7, 2007

Somewhere Over The Rainbow...

On my way to work today, I was getting grumpier and grumpier by the minute. Now this is not abnormal since I am usually pretty grumpy on my way to work. I would much rather stay in bed or stay home and hang out with Spencer or Tank, but today not only was I going to work, but it was cold, rainy, and windy. So I was absolutely not looking forward to standing outside all day long and dealing with crabby tourists. There was a chance we would close early due to the weather, but this isn't usually very likely. So I'm driving down Nellis and can actually feel myself getting more cranky as I get closer to work. I get to the light at Nellis and Flamingo and I see the sun peeking out behind a building but it is still raining, which is always odd to me! I turn onto Flamingo and see one of the most beautiful rainbows I have ever seen. People all around me are driving terribly because they are looking for their cameras or digging out the phones to take pictures of the rainbow...me included. I still wasn't EXCITED to go to work, but seeing this rainbow and seeing other people around me getting joy out of it calmed me down an incredible amount! Rainbows are optical and meteorological phenomena that cause a spectrum of light to appear in the sky when the sun shines onto droplets of moisture in the Earth's atmosphere. You know its quite another type of phenomena if it can calm me on my way to a long day at work! :) According to my favorite website, wikipedia (ha ha!), the most spectacular rainbow displays happen when half of the sky is still dark with draining clouds and the observer (that's me) is at a spot with clear sky in the direction of the sun. The result is a luminous rainbow that contrasts with the darkened sky. The sun was behind me and many dark clouds where in the distance, and as I got closer to the dark clouds over the strip, my rainbow slowly disappeared, but, and as cheesy as this may sound, for a moment it was a great gift! (And my day didn't end up being so bad after all!)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: