Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Answered Prayers...

Spencer took me to a movie today because he wanted to get my mind off of my worrying about my dad. It was the right thing to do. I desperately needed a distraction. I just kept looking at the clock trying to prepare myself for the phone call I was going to get any minute after my parents left the doctors office and it was taking forever and I was going crazy. So we went to see Avatar. Because he wanted to see it. Because I didn't care if I saw it or not so if I was distracted the entire time I wouldn't be upset for missing anything. And because the only thing I could think of that sounded even remotely appetizing to eat in the midst of my nervous stomach was movie theater popcorn! The previews were about to start and my brother and sister-in-law were texting and calling me asking if I'd heard anything yet and I thought I was going to throw my phone across the room, so I just texted my mom and told her we were at a movie and I'd call her when we got out to find out what the doctor said and then promptly turned off my phone. Surprisingly enough I was more distracted by the 3 year old kid that was running up and down the row behind us screaming during the movie, than I was by my thoughts and concerns about my dad. After exiting the movie theater, Spencer and I got soaked in a random and rare torrential downpour in the middle of the desert and I attempted to wait until we got home to call my mom. Home where it was quiet and the rain wasn't beating down on the roof of the car while we were driving. Home where I could crawl in to bed and cry if the news was bad. But I couldn't wait another second. So I called my mom and she tried to make small talk. I snapped at her and told her just tell me what the doctor said!
The news was better than any of us expected, especially after reading all the doomsday information about my dad's potential condition provided on the good old internet! He has a small tumor on his liver. The doctor thinks that it is small enough to just surgically remove a small piece of his liver where the tumor is located. Next week they are doing a PET Scan to confirm the size of the tumor and be sure there is no cancer anywhere else. This is good news, yet my mind immediately jumps to: "Oh god...what if they find more?!" But I try to accept this good news as a huge relief. Now I'm praying they don't find anything else. And I'm praying that this news is good enough to allow me to rest my mind and sleep at night...at least for a week until his next appointment. Please keep praying for my dad.

No comments: