Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Spencer's Birthday Re-Do
On Spencer's actual birthday, March 28, I had just gone home to see my Dad in the hospital and then stayed there to help my family when he got out. I was devastated that I missed his birthday and even though we celebrated as best we could from far away on that day, the only thing that made me semi-OK with missing it was the fact that I knew we would have a re-do when I got home. That re-do was today! We started off the morning with me sneaking off to run some high profile birthday errands so that Spencer could wake up to beer (to drink later of course, not for breakfast), balloons, and breakfast...his favorite, Einstein Bagels.
Then we headed out for a hike and lunch at Red Rock Canyon. We started by checking out the new visitor's center.
Gopher tortoise munching on cactus 
I think I have become a jack rabbit? 
Tortoise seat 
"Mmmm, tastes like burro."
Then we headed out to do the Keystone Thrust hike. It was about 2 hours long roundtrip and only slightly rocky. It was a subtle incline uphill to a fault line and then the actual Keystone Thrust...which, from how I understood it, at the fault line, tremors make the rock move and push the old rock (?) upward which is the thrust. You can tell where the thrust is because it is lighter in color (basically where the red stops and the grey starts.) We found a little rocky "shelf" to sit and have lunch, enjoyed the quiet (when the wind wasn't gusting through the canyon), and then made our way back. It was pretty much perfect weather and the perfect amount of time to spend there.
Speaking of burro... 
Upward 
Cacti = Break #1 
"Oooh pretty scenery" = Break #2 
Pretty red flowers = Break #3
At the fault line that caused the Thrust 
The Keystone Thurst 
Checking for spiders and snakes... 
Lunch spot 
The thrust is behind me. 
Us
Looking down
More pretty flowers
On our way out we found a little living room complete with chairs and a coffee table that someone had made out of the rocks (I really did not take THIS many breaks!)
Some weird clouds blowing by...


These gross worms in the web-like sack appeared to be killing the bushes...they were EVERYWHERE! After our trip to Red Rock, we headed home and relaxed a bit before going to Kabuki for dinner and then back home to eat cake and sing Happy Birthday. 


Happy Birthday Re-Do Spence!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment