Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Birthday Cake

Parker LOVES Uncle Spencer. He is sooooooo sad that Uncle Spencer didn't come with me on this trip home. I explained to him that it was because he has to work. He understands but won't stop talking about Uncle Spencer. "Can you take me to the park Uncle Spencer took me to last time he was here?" "Can we go for a walk like I did with Uncle Spencer?" "Can we call Uncle Spencer?" "Can we make a video for Uncle Spencer?" "Can we take a picture for Uncle Spencer?" "When is Uncle Spencer coming over?" Although I'm a teeny bit jealous, I LOVE that Parker LOVES Spencer. So I've been doing my best to make Uncle Spencer not feel so far away...for Parker's sake and for mine. Went to the park, check. Went on a walk, check. Called Uncle Spencer (3 times), check. Made (8) videos for Uncle Spencer, check. Took a picture for Uncle Spencer, check. But perhaps the coolest thing we did today was celebrate Uncle Spencer's birthday on the computer. Awhile back, I got a laptop, so in order to communicate with hubby (and all of you) a bit better while on my trip, I brought it along. I have never used the web cam that came already installed on it, but today was the perfect opportunity. When Parker figured out that today was Uncle Spencer's birthday, he wanted to bake him a cake. Parker has an Easy Bake Oven, so this is where he wanted to bake it. So when Uncle Spencer got home from work, he turned on my computer and I turned on mine, we hooked up the video chat, explained how it worked to Parker, and baked him a birthday cake live! Spencer took some screen shots of our chat, so I have some cute evidence:

Cake just came out of the oven and Parker put the candle in and is showing Uncle Spencer the finished product
Grandma, Parker, Aunt Heather and Mason singing Happy Birthday to Uncle Spencer
Parker blowing out the candles for Uncle Spencer (after asking his permission to do it for him, of course.)
Parker asked Spencer what he wished for and then when Spencer asked Parker if he had made a wish for him too he said, "Yes, I wished that you didn't have to work anymore so you could come here!"
Eating the cake for Uncle Spencer
Parker inhaling the birthday cake
We made sure to keep one packet to bake another cake for Uncle Spencer when he does get to come visit Parker in person next. And Parker is already asking when we can talk to Uncle Spencer on the computer again.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNCLE SPENCER! :)

No comments: