Saturday, September 11, 2010

No Fear, No Shame....

A friend of mine told me the other day that someone she trusted had a dream that on September 11, 2010 terrorists were going to blow up the strip because it stands for everything they [the terrorists] despise. The strip stands for everything I despise too so I guess I didn't find this too far fetched. I wasn't too worried about it since Spencer and I never go to the strip (except for when he goes to work, but this year September 11, is a Saturday which is his day off so no worries). Then I realized that I had promised a friend of mine who was staying on the strip this weekend that I would babysit her son while her and her husband went to see a show....on the strip. And the date of this blessed babysitting event was none other than Saturday, September 11, 2010. I was sure tonight was my last night alive. I had a possible escape plan just in case I could make it out alive. I made Spencer come with me (I'll be damned if I'm going to die without him...) and he parked on the lowest floor possible in the parking garage. I even made him park his car facing out so we could just jump in and pull out. I was a little upset that we were parked slightly farther from the stairs than I would have liked (because obviously we won't take the elevator if stuff is being blown up). The plan was to watch out the window of the suite on the 25th floor (yeah, I wasn't looking forward to running down 25 flights of stairs with a 7 month old baby, but you do what you gotta do...) as often as possible and if we saw any low flying planes or saw or heard anything that remotely sounded like a bomb somewhere else on the strip, that we would grab the baby and run and make our great escape. At the beginning of the day this was a very realistic thing to me. But as the evening wore on, I realized more and more how ridiculous I was being. I'm not sure what came over me (I think I was mostly pissed that if it did happen, not only would I be dead, but I would have died in Las Vegas...the very place I have been trying to escape for so long), but I obviously made it out alive and I have no shame telling you how dumb I was for thinking any of this. Babysitting was a breeze, it was great to see my friends and meet their baby, and I am still living and breathing, unfortunately in Las Vegas, but the still living and breathing part is what is important. I hope this gave you a good laugh.

No comments: