Tonight while I was at work, I got an urgent phone call from my mom and her message said, "Heather, I need to talk to you right away, call me back." Usually her "urgent" messages aren't urgent and she leaves a more detailed message, so I immediately knew something was wrong. I called her phone 5 times and no answer, more indication that something was wrong. Then I called the house phone and my sister's friend Amanda answered (even MORE indication of something wrong) and told me that she didn't know what happened but that there was an ambulance in the driveway when she got there and they were taking my dad to the hospital. After I FINALLY got ahold of my mom (and found out Spencer had known what was going on all along so I should have just called him), I found out that my dad had been throwing up blood for a few days now but today it got really bad. It turns out that he had 4 varices which I later learned are abnormally enlarged veins in the lower part of your esophagus, the tube that connects your throat and your stomach, caused by serious liver disease. Another side affect of this stupid tumor! They did some kind of procedure where they banded these varices to stop the bleeding and according to the doctor, he should be released within 48 hours. However, according to some of the websites I have checked against my better judgement and just about everyone's wishes, it doesn't sound that simple. Either way, today has been another awful, stressful day, and although we are leaving to go there tomorrow in a kind of last minute trip, it suddenly does NOT feel soon enough. I'm so nervous to see my dad in the hospital. I expect him to look sick, but everyone looks sicker in a hospital bed no matter why they are in it. I'm afraid of my reaction. I don't want to freak out when I see him because that won't help him AT ALL. I have to wake up really early in the morning to start our travels and I know that I won't sleep tonight because of everything going on, so I am going to take a sleeping pill and risk the drunk feeling I get whenever I do not sleep the full 8 hours a sleeping pill requests. Please continue your prayers for my family and especially for my dad. We need a break from all of this!
No comments:
Post a Comment