Thursday, February 25, 2010
Preschool, Babysitting, Cleaning OH MY!
Last night after a good cry and a good talk, Spencer and I figured out that the best way we could "be there" for everyone was just to make everyday life easier. So we did our best to do that today. Lauren had school. Mom had work. So we started off an early morning with 2 cute little boys, getting 1 of them changed, fed, and ready for a day of playing, more eating and napping, and the other 1 ready for a day of preschool, playing and entertaining. I actually thought that Mason, sleeping in his crib which was right next to the bed we were sleeping in, would be my alarm clock for the day when I was told that he usually wakes up around 6:30AM, but nope, it was mom, shoveling the driveway right outside our window at 5:30AM after a light snowfall last night! When I couldn't fall back asleep, I decided now may be my only free moment to shower all day so I did just that. Sure enough, when I walked out of the bathroom who did I see peeking up over his crib? Mason was up and happy to see someone else awake too. So he got changed, ate, and started his busy day of playing. Soon after Parker and Spencer got up. Spencer was in charge of the dogs and I was in charge of the kids. Parker got all dressed for preschool, made his bed and cleaned his room without me asking him too. He even washed his face and brushed his teeth. Knowing how challenging he can be at times, I was pleasantly surprised. The only thing he wouldn't do was eat breakfast. He also told me a couple times that he wasn't going to school but when I told him I was going with him and he had to show me around, he was more interested. Lauren's roomie Amanda watched Mason while we took Parker to school. He showed us around, introduced us to his teachers, and then we left him to go visit Dad. He was about the same today...more chatty...in fact, I realized that I don't really need to go visit him, as long as Spencer's there...those two just talk and talk and talk and I can't get a word in! Its funny! While we were there, I told Dad what we were doing for Mom for her birthday. He then remembered that he had a card for her in his sock drawer and asked me to get it out and give it to her in the morning. I don't know why but this made me tear up a little bit. My parents' relationship has always had a strange dynamic. I know deep down somewhere they love each other but I often doubted it growing up. So it really moved me to know that my Dad had in fact planned ahead and remembered my Mom's birthday. It felt good to know that in the midst of everything going on, I would still have something to give her from him tomorrow. Anyway, after our visit, we picked Parker up and learned all about the letter T and he got a smiley face which meant he was good. We headed home for lunch. I thought lunch would be a challenge, but because of the desperation Parker felt to eat the chocolate train his teachers sent home, he chowed down on his peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which I told him he had to finish if he wanted to eat the train. :) After lunch the cleaning chaos began. Mom has been very busy with work, dad, grandsons, etc. and doesn't get much time to clean, so I decided to do it for her. Spencer and Parker went on several adventures outside which I now wish I would have gone on because I didn't get any fun pictures (taking breaks to help me clean inside when they needed to warm up) and Mason kept me company while I cleaned (and made more messes for me to clean up too). Spencer did a great job keeping the boys entertained while I cleaned and I think he had fun too. Jason, Sara, and Jackson came to visit tonight too, so on our first day here Spencer got to meet the 2 nephews he hadn't met yet!
After Jason, Sara, and Jackson left, I finished the last of the cleaning, Lauren was home, and Spencer and I decided to get dinner and have it waiting for Mom when she got home from work. It was a race to Jimmy John's before they closed but we made it. We at our dinner and now I'm relaxing on the couch watching the episode of Lost we missed on Tuesday and am completely exhausted. My plan is to head to bed early. Tomorrow is Mom's birthday and I am hoping that in the midst of all the bad stuff going on, she will celebrate and have fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment