Monday, July 5, 2010

Organize. Simplify. Purge.

This should so be my motto. But anyway, my goal this week while I'm here helping my mom tie up loose ends, etc. is to help her do these things. She has spent the past 4 years taking care of 2 grandkids and a sick husband and has barely had time to breathe let alone keep her house clean and organized. Time constraints and stress have taken over and now I'm gonna kick this house's butt back in to shape. Not with everything, but with receipts and important documents, both of my parents are pack rats...and to me, keeping all of this [unnecessary] stuff would be ok if there were some organization to it....but no. So I bought a file cabinet and folders and labels and I have cleaned out all of the drawers and closets and have gotten to work making a system that I hope will make Mom's life easier. In the process we have also thrown away a ton of stuff and donated a ton more. So far our accomplishments include.....a clean and organized kitchen, 3 closets cleaned and organized, a dresser and a half emptied of papers of all kinds and filled with clothes that had no home, 4 garbage bags full of items to donate and 6 trash cans, plus 2 of our neighbor's trash cans filled with garbage and more bags of trash waiting to go out next week (we reached the garbage man's limit!). Mom thinks I'm a cleaning nag and is referring to me as "the drill sergeant." We have lots more to do so I better get some rest! I ♥ organization!

No comments: